Friday, October 16, 2009


Baby J, 2006


Today I was thinking about the preparations for our first trip to China. I saw a blog with a list of 10 important things to take to China that included Ziplock baggies. I dutifully packed two boxes worth of baggies for our trip, but I never did figure out what I was suppose to do with them. The boxes came back from China, crushed from being packed in a suitcase, but still carrying a full complement of bags. In retrospect, it is kind of funny. My entire parenting experience feels like those Ziplock baggies sometimes. I do "the right thing", not always sure why I do it, often failing miserably in the process. I try to fit the children into the mold of other people's children, dragging them to swim class, ballet, gymnastics, etc, forgetting they are unique individuals with unique needs. I also forget they were created by God, forged in His image, with His plan for them. I forget He blessed us with these wonderful creations, and that He has a plan for us in this process as well. I often feel crushed from the process, but I know God has not abandoned us; He is not silent and He will bring us through.

1 comment:

Susan and Fred said...

Hi Sherry and Phil! You write so beautifully, Sherry. I can't believe how your kids are growing and changing. Looks like Keith has grown alot! What a handsome little guys and Julianna's as beautiful as ever. Sorry we missed you last weekend! We hope to see you sometime in the near future. Happy Fall to you!! Susan