Wednesday, March 25, 2009

More pics from the Summer Palace



Hey y'all. Daddy here. Yes, there is a riverboat at the Summer Palace in Beijing, China. Seems the female emperor (Referred to as the Dragon Lady by our guide) was interested in American technology back during the Industrial Revolution. And the item that caught her imagination most was the side-wheeler riverboat that plied cotton and gamblers up and down the rivers of the Antebellum south. So what does she do to satisfy her longing to own one on her man-made lake? Buy one and have it shipped? Why of course not! she has one built. From marble.

This next pic is our guide, Michelle, with the two adoptees. This charming picture would not have been possible had our son not protested vehemently when I tried to put him back in his stroller after a potty break. He insisted on pushing. Which is fine and all except he can't see to push it straight and has to stop and check every change in the feel or color of the pavement. It was taking forever. So Michelle told them both of the "big boat" and took their hands. On the one hand I was relieved—on the other I hate that he instantly obeys nearly everyone who speaks Chinese, even construction workers we meet on the street.

1 comment:

starrde said...

I wonder-how do you keep a marble boat from sinking? I guess I missed that lesson in physics. Oh wait-I didnt take physics.