Wednesday, March 18, 2009



Today we went to the Beijing Zoo. I am actually torn between which zoo was worse, Beijing or Guangzhou. We did see the pandas, but I can't say they were really that exciting. I only took about five photographs today. I did find the exotic animal called "raccoon" very fascinating, unfortunately, that picture did not turn out well because it was behind glass.
I did find this advertisement interesting. There were a series of them, one about color, one about the elderly, one I cannot remember and this one. There is a big push in China to change the attitude of people regarding the desirability of male vs. female children. I don't know how much it is changing their attitudes, but I found it interesting. I guess it is like a lot of cultural attitudes, they can take decades to change, but at least the government recognizes the problem and is trying to change.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sherry forgot to mention that Keith peed twice at the zoo today. Once at the peacock cage and once at the entrance gate.

He also peed in the bushes in front of the Civil Affairs Office.

It wouldn't be worth mentioning if his pants had a fly.

Phil

starrde said...

Wow! A real racoon! How exciting! Now all they need to be a first class zoo is a possum, squrriel, and an armadillo. That would be an awesome exhibit to see!

Love,
Penny

Anonymous said...

Hi! Ya'll, I told my daughter about Keith's peeing outside & she told me--children do that in China. Is that true? She thought she remembered them doing No.2 also & that parents went behind them with a piece of plastic paper & picked it up.
Maybe this is all Keith knows for now.
Interesting! He'll be OK.
Hope ya'll will be.
Love all the pictures & notes. Very nice.
Hugs, Mary Ellen

Sonyia said...

It sounds like I didn't miss anything interesting at the zoo today, except for maybe Keith's peeing : )

Sonyia said...

We were doing Esther as well before we left. Thank you for making that connection for me. Kaiden is worse off than we were told as well but I was expecting that. For some reason, I was prepared for him to be worse than we thought he was supposed to be, and in fact he is. Trust in God's perfect plan for your family.