Thursday, April 26, 2007

Julianna is napping, which means time for blogging. This week has been the week of questions. As she is getting more comfortable, we are beginning to get more behavior that we do not approve of, things like trying to turn on the stove burners and dial the phone (which is a strange one, because she screams in terror every time the phone rings). This has resulted in "how do we handle this?". The obvious is not to let her do it, and we do not, but this results in temper tantrums (she is after all, almost two). The problem is that it always leaves us questioning our behavior. She is not appropriately bonded. She is better, but is not there yet. So we always end up wondering if we are damaging the bonding by disciplining her. We like to think not, that this is all about establishing boundaries and developing a proper parent-child relationship, but we still wonder.

The other question we struggle with is Bible reading. Not if we will read the Bible to her, but in what version, as in adult or children's story Bible. What seems most obvious is to read her an adult Bible, because that is the Word of God, but then what do you do with the hard parts? Do you skip the David and Bathsheba part and just read the David and Goliath part? And if you do that, wouldn't it be easier just to read a children's story Bible, since they are sanitized? Do you try to explain the bad behavior in general terms or do you explain it for what it is? We read to her right now so that she can hear the language, but one day (hopefully soon), she will understand what is said.

I mentioned in another post that we have been reading The Horse and His Boy to Julianna. I am trying to work it into our bedtime routine. It's not going so well, but I am still hopeful. Anyway, last night we got to my favorite part of the book, when Shasta (the boy) meets the lion Aslan. Aslan explains to him that all the lions in his life have been one lion, Aslan himself. That Aslan was the one who saved him from death as a child, who guided him, who comforted him and who punishes. I think it is such a beautiful illustration of God--that He is the one who saves us, guides us, comforts us and punishes us. It is why it is my favorite book and why I wanted it to be the first book Julianna heard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I vote that you just read her the child's version of the Bible and advance to reading her the adult version of the Bible when she is older and can understand and comprehend more. I know with Andi, who is two, we still have to keep our reading to her very brief. She just loses interest. BUT...she loves the books. The pages in the books that we read to her every night have about three to four sentences on each page and we talk about and point to things in the illustrations by using her finger. She keeps her interest in the book just a little longer by us holding her first finger pointing and guiding it over the text as we read. Just a suggestion. I know it is tough trying to figure out what she wants, but she,in due time, will let you know and you might just have to do it the way she enjoys.

Steve

Anonymous said...

I will have to agree with Steve. Even in my Sunday School class our stories are short. The criculum suggests that you open up a children's Bible and read that to them also. I should start saving you some of the stories we do-it is from the Baby series but most of it is geared toward toddlers. Believe it or not my 12 month old children will come and sit down with me to read the story. Mom once told me that you should start with the "fun" Bible stories-Jonah, Moses as a baby, David and Goliath-these will help encourage an excitement to see what else is in the Bible.

By the way-consistancy is the best way to show your child you love them-espeically when they are doing something dangerous. When Julianna learns that everytime she turns on the stove there is a consequence she learns to trust you. Tantrum or not! There have been many times I have had to "rescue" Jessica from a tantrum by holding her and softly humming.

Enough advice from your big sister!!

Love, Penny

AaronS said...

Some OT stories need little sanitizing. Esther probably works fine in the adult Bible. Ruth might, also. Both feature adoptees, if I remember correctly. I think Starla and I will use a blend of adult and children. Children's bibles have nice big pictures to spark imagination and make the stories more real. I enjoy reading the simplified versions myself sometimes. It's nice to read a short focused message without all the extra baggage. Our God is complex but, also, simple.

I'm right there with you on discipline vs. bonding. Every decision I think twice about. It's a little nerve-wracking. I hope that setting boundaries and sticking to them will increase her bonding. But boy, I do not like being the source of tears. She's had enough reason to cry already without me adding to it.